1/21/13

What I Wear: My Lesson in Pattern Mixing


What She Says:

Let me be real.  As the "About Me" section of our blog describes, I am style/beauty blog-obsessed.  When one of the style icons that I follow has a new post, it's like Christmas morning all over again.  The blogs that I enjoy give me inspirational new looks that I try to replicate within the constraints of my own closet.  In this case it is pattern mixing - putting two items together that you may not immediately see as a "set".  When I saw Devon in this look, I was blown away.  How does someone have the courage and the vision to make a look like this happen? (Do yourself a favor, start following her blog too)

But, as Devon's post so wisely suggests, as long as you stay within the color family and don't go crazy with the size of the print - you're all good.  You have come this far, girl, you might as well go for the fur as well.

Outfit vision and skirt (Wardrobe Therapy); Blouse (Banana Republic); Fur vest (Kohl's)

What He Says:

I tooled through Devon's blog, and I can see that she's extremely fashion-conscious.  That being said, if she came to me in that leopard-and-rainbow print get-up and asked "what do you think of this outfit?" I'd have to confess that I just don't get it.  Where my wife sees courage and vision, all I can hear is Tim Gunn saying, "that's a lot of look."

I will give Mrs. Mirror's a little credit, though.  By comparison, her mixed-pattern outfit seems safer.  The skirt pattern is muted, so it doesn't have the same clash as Devon's example.  Honestly, if my wife didn't point out "hey, look!  I'm mixing patterns!" I might not have even acknowledged her "fashion bravery."  I hope I don't come across like I'm pitting one look against the other.  My point is this: you're playing with fire if you're mixing patterns.  Tread lightly.

7 comments:

  1. The patterns don't fight each other and the colors are muted enough to be classy. Very good outfit for Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was just talking about you today with Joe ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm not crazy about the pattern mixing. I guess I'm just not brave enough. What I LOVE is the pattern mixing with the fur added!! Somehow it pulls it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what Joe said! It must be a family thing :)

      Delete
  3. Love the look! Mixing patterns with neutrals takes the daring and makes it elegant. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look - you look Ahhhmazin' and I'm inspired. Add the fur and KAPOW!

    ReplyDelete